Skip to main content

HPE 3PAR SRA upgrade from 6.1 to 6.5 failed with an Error - "Error1001.InstallUtilLib.dll:Unknown error"



I was working on upgrading HPE 3PAR SRA from 6.1.0 to 6.5 on VMware SRM 6.1 which was installed on Windows 2012 server. It was supposed to be straight forward process. Uninstall old SRA and install new SRA using the .msi file. That's it!

When I logged into SRM server (windows 2012) to uninstall the HEP 3PAR SRA old version (6.1.0.170) using control panel - uninstall program feature. HPE 3PAR SRA did not show up in the program list in programs and features.

I tried to install the SRA 6.5 directly but it failed with an error - Error1001.InstallUtilLib.dll:Unknown error.




Ok, so I thought of installing the 6.1 version. When I tried that it said the product is already installed on this server.

Then I started digging into it more. I deleted all the entries that had HPE 3PAR 6.1.0.170 from registry, rebooted the SRM server - tried to install the SRA 6.5 - same error -Error1001.InstallUtilLib.dll:Unknown error. 

Then I started looking out for Error1001.InstallUtilLib.dll:Unknown error. There were few solutions - some of them said its related to .net frame work.

As per 3PAR SRA documentation that I read initially, it mentioned that .net framework is not needed if the SRM server is on 2012, which was in my case. But just to play around I installed the .net framework on the SRM server, rebooted the server and tried the SRA install again. And viola! I was able to install the SRA successfully this time. When I read the 'read me' file that showed up after completing the successful install - the first prerequisite was to have the .net framework.

So to conclude, 

For HPE 3PAR SRA 6.5 - .net framework is needed while installing SRA 6.5. You won't be able to install the SRA 6.5 without .net framework. 

For HPE 3PAR SRA 6.1 - With SRA 6.1, even if you don't have the .net framework installed on the SRM server, the SRA will get installed successfully but it won't show up in program and features in control panel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Check Up Time of ESXi Host or Virtual Machine from vCenter Server

To check up time of ESXi host from vCenter server - Logon to vCenter Server -  If using C# (fat) client - click on cluster - on right side pane click on Hosts - select the up time option by right clicking on the header. The column will be added at the end. You can drag and drop column to place it in your view. If using HTML client - click on cluster - on right side pane click on Hosts - select the up time attribute from show/hide column by clicking on the header  If using web (Flash)  client - click on cluster - on right side pane click on related objects - hosts - right click on the header to show/hide column - click on up time attribute Similarly,  you can check the up time for a virtual machine by clicking on the virtual machine tab instead of host tab, but only caveat  is vCenter gives you up time of a virtual machine according to reboots performed from the vCenter. So, rather than rebooting server fr...

VMware vCenter 5.5 getting Disconnected Sporadically

I recently experienced an issue with vCenter 5.5 was getting disconnected sporadically. vCneter was running on windows 2012 server. I was able to see following errors in windows logs. vCenter Logs were showing following errors -          2018-08-18T01:30:03.630-04:00 [11432 error 'Default' opID=92132b4] An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Error: Error[VdbODBCError] (-1) ODBC error: (08S01) - [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]TCP Provider: The specified network name is no longer available.         2018-08-18T01:30:03.630-04:00 [11432 error 'Default' opID=92132b4] An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Error: Error[VdbODBCError] (-1) ODBC error: (08S01) - [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]TCP Provider: The specified network name is no longer available.         2018-08-19T19:28:31.801-04:00 [06368 warning...

Initial Configuration of VMware NSX Manager

Here are the steps for the initial configuration of VMware NSX Manager-  Deploy NSX Manager for the vCenter. NSX manager and vCenter have 1:1 binding, so if there are multiple vCenters - multiple NSX manager needs to be deployed each in one vCenter Once NSX manager is deployed, logon to the NSX manager using the IP address or the FQDN of the NSX manager Configure the NTP settings by clicking on "View Summary" on home page and then clicking Configure NTP Servers from Manage - General - Time Setting  Once the NTP time settings are configured, configure look up service and vCenter Server to connect to the NSX manager. Click on manage vCenter registration and click on configure look up service to configure the lookup service. Accept the SSL certificate. Once Lookup service is connected successfully, register the vCenter to the NSX Manager. Note - SSO admin account (administrator@domain.local) needs to be used for the configuration of look up service and registration o...